What you Need to Know for the EU Settlement Scheme

If you’re a citizen of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or a Swiss citizen, who was a resident in the UK by 31st of December 2020, you and your family members will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme in order to continue residing in the UK beyond the 30th June 2021. Even if you have lived in the UK for many years or you hold permanent residency you will still need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme.

The EU Settlement Scheme permits you and your family members to get the immigration status you need in order to continue to reside, carry out work and study in the UK after the 30th of June 2021. Public services such as the NHS and schools will still continue to be available, as well as public funds and pensions.

Non-EU family members will also need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. Close family members who were not living in the UK by the 31st of December 2020 will be able to join their EU family member at any point in the future as long as they successfully apply for the scheme. Close family members include partner, civil partner, de-facto, dependent children, grandparents, parents and grandchildren. Family members can come from anywhere in the world and do not need to be from the European Union.

There is no cost to apply and it is a short three step online application. Once you create an application, you may link it to you the application of your family member by using your unique number given to you.

Pre-Settled Status

If you receive a pre-settled status this means you can stay in the UK for a period of five years. This will permit you to remain until you are eligible for settled status.

If your application comes back with settled status this means you have indefinite leave to remain or enter, and there is no time limit on how long you can stay in the UK. You can go on to apply for British citizenship if you meet the requirements and want to apply. Both pre-settled status and settled status allow you to continue to live, work and study in the UK beyond 30 June 2021.


Application guidance can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families

Where to Apply

And the application itself can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/applying-for-settled-status