If you work at desk all day you may have noticed you’ve started to suffer from annoying aches and pains such as a stiff neck or back ache. If so, you’re not alone! It’s important we keep moving during the day to counteract the stresses a desk job can put on our bodies and minds, but sometimes taking a lunchtime walk is easier said than done. Enter, Deskercise – a series of simple tips and tricks to get you moving at your desk that you can even do while talking to a client on the phone!
- Seat Squeeze – You don’t even need to get out of your chair for this one (so no excuses). To start toning your glutes simply squeeze the buttocks, hold for 5-10 seconds, and release. Repeat until you’ve finished posting that job advert or the glutes tire.
- Leg Raise – Another one that no one will even notice you’re doing. While seated at your desk, straighten one leg and hold in place for 5-10 seconds. Then lower the leg back to the ground without letting your feet touch the floor. Repeat for 15 reps. If this is too simple then strap something to your ankle for added weight.
- Ab-solutely Fabulous – If you want abs like Zac Efron then this is the deskercise for you. Simply take a deep breath and tighten the abdominal muscles, bringing them towards your spine as you exhale. Stay squeezed for 5-10 seconds and release. Repeat for 12-15 reps.
- The Shoulder Shrug – Raise both shoulders up towards the ears, hold for 5 seconds, and then relax. Repeat until you’ve finishing writing that contract or for 10-15 reps. We would recommend to leave this one out whilst in your team meetings.
- The Water Curl – Seated or standing, take your water bottle in one hand with the palm facing upwards. Starting at the thighs, bend the elbow and curl the arm up towards the chest, just like a regular dumbbell biceps curl. Pause briefly and then lower your water bottle back down.
- Ditch the Technology – Milestones are always celebrated in the office. Ditch sending a boring ‘Well done’ email and put in some face time. Take a stroll across the office to congratulate employees. Or just offer a cuppa to the team once in a while and use the opportunity to get up and take a stroll.
- Last Man Standing – Stand whenever you can. Sure, it isn’t exactly exercise but research shows it’s better than sitting at your desk all day. Why not play a game of last man standing to determine who makes the next cuppa? Get everyone up on their feet and you can only take sit back down after completing a phone call.
- Standing Leg Curl – Stand behind your chair and hold onto it for support. Gently kick one foot back, aiming the heel for the top of your thigh. Lower the foot back down and repeat exercise with the other leg.
- Calf Raises – Why not make your wait at the printer more productive? Standing with feet shoulder-width apart, press up onto the tippy toes, pause at the top, and then lower back down. Repeat for three sets of 12-15 reps, or until the printing is done.
- The Fist Pump – Just hit your daily target? Just placed your first job of the month? Time to celebrate in style! First punch into the air like a champ (alternating arms) and continue for 60 seconds or more.
Committing to a few of these per day will also keep you motivated to make the most of the free gym membership we offer to our employees!